Saturday, January 28, 2012

Update


There are average stories told greatly, and great stories told averagely. Unfortunately, there are very few post-80's books that tell a great story greatly.

****

I'm a fairly happy person - I cry often, but for about five seconds; I laugh as easily as I get angry; and I'm great at reassuring people that it's okay to take it light. Too bad I don't listen to my own advice. There are at least ten instances every day when I feel my BP literally go up; most often in reaction to things I can't take personally, much less change. 

Does any one know how I can take my overall laidback happy-go-lucky nature and apply it on the job front? I'm not an overly competitive person, but I can't seem to stop putting pressure on myself to outperform me. Goddamn K-schools.

I feel like I can take the least high-pressure job in the world, and I'd still stress about it, even when everyone around me acknowledges I'm great at it (or maybe the stress is brought on by the weight of their expectations? Or maybe I'm just trying to pass the buck...). I guess we'll only know for sure once I actually start my teaching/writing stint, assuming I do. 

I'm surrounded by a whole host of if's and then's, not to mention maybe's - there are quite a few balls in the air, and I'm waiting, with a fair bit of restlessness, for them to fall back in place. Unfortunately, they seem to be doing a bit of a Rajinikanth stint in the air, performing cartwheels and somersaults and generally taking their own sweet time to descend. Patience is a trait I only pretended to learn.

PS: If you're feeling let down by how this blog's become all job-job-job-I-want-to-write-a-book-job-job... it could be worse: at least it's not husband-husband-husband-I-want-a-baby-look-at-me-cook-husband-husband. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment